NEWS & RESOURCES
|Internet-based Physical Activity Coaching|
67th Annual Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association
Making Healthy Choices Easy Choices:
Low-Cost and Effective Lifestyle Coaching Authors: Neal Kaufman M.D., M.P.H and Adam Kaufman Background
• Unhealthy daily choices concerning food and physical activity promote obesity, Type 2 diabetes and its complications especially in those with increased genetic risk living in obesogenic environments.
• The practice of medicine should extend beyond the medical office to help patients adopt and sustain healthy behaviors.
• Lifestyle coaching for behavior change has been proven effective in the NIH’s Diabetes Prevention Program and other studies.
• Lifestyle coaching can help patients sustain health-promoting behaviors. • Labor intensive coaching approaches are too costly to replicate.
• On-line behavior change approaches show promise.
Characteristics of High Quality On-line Behavior Change Interventions
• Technology platform that enhances the capacity of patients and their support network, coaches, and quality assurance efforts
• Evidence-based protocols and curricula personalized for the patient, based on his/her characteristics, changing needs, and progress over time that engages patients in behavior change
• Integrates into clinical settings, quality assurance and information technology platforms
• Affordable and scalable to large numbers of patients
Click Here to download the handout from the conference
Click Here to download the press release